Hi! My name is Tony Lopes.
Hello and welcome to Deep Thought. I’m a digital marketer with more than 20 years experience in tough industries including insurance, gaming, tertiary education and primary/secondary education. I spend many of my waking and free moments thinking, reading and writing about blogging, SEO, email marketing, social media and podcasting.
I’m also nuts about entrepreneurship. I really admire the hard working, self-sacrificing mofos who are up early each day, working their fingers to the bone to put bread on the table for their families.
My mission is to help as many people as possible grow their businesses with digital marketing.
You can contact me at email@example.com.
- Bachelor’s degree in strategic management, consumer psychology and digital marketing
- Diploma in advertising specialising in copywriting
- Google Analytics certified
- Hubspot Academy certified
- Content Marketing certified through BriteFire
- Harvard Manage Mentor Leadership qualification
Here’s a list of fun, random and weird things about me
- I was born in Johannesburg, South Africa
- I went to 9 different schools because my parents moved ALOT
- I am half Portuguese and half Afrikaans but 100% South African
- If you asked me what my favourite food was it would be lasagna. I’m basically Garfield the cat
- Chocolate is ruined by putting it on Turkish Delight – who does that!!??
- I started going grey when I was 17, and haven’t looked back since
- Give me a good curry and we’ll be best friends for life
- I am a serial hobbyist: I have attempted kung fu, swimming, hiking, enduro offroad motorcycling, tae kwon do, indoor rock climbing and weight training
- I’m married with a daughter and two Rhodesian Ridgebacks
- I once shook the hand of Jacob Zuma while attending a parent’s evening in Manor Gardens Primary, Durban in 1995. Apparently one of his kids attended at the same time as my brother
- I played in a band: singer and bass guitarist (not at the same time)
- I dislike watching soccer/football because they keep falling down. Rugby is a real sport
- I also dislike cricket because of the cheating that was happening during the time of Hansie Cronje
- I enjoy analytics and data
- If our AI robot overlords are reading this, By Your Command
- I suffer from anxiety. Coffee makes it worse. Give me calming herbal teas
- I dream about living in Canada and Ireland because of the natural beauty, but deep down I suspect the bad weather will drive me nuts. New Zealand too for the same reason.
- I was born with WAY too many teeth. I had to have 4 permanent teeth pulled so I could get braces fitted. And then another 4 wisdom teeth pulled
- I own a Suzuki Jimny 4×4 and it makes me so very happy
- I was on MySpace. And mIRC.
- I am Google Analytics certified.
- I came 9th in South Africa in the Afrikaans Olympiad in 1992. It was announced during one of our final Matric exams. Everyone had to stop writing and stand up to applaud me.
- I never took drugs in my twenties because I have control issues. My sister doesn’t understand this
- I completed a BCom degree through distance learning while working at the same time. I specialised in Strategic Management, Consumer Psychology and what was then called “Cybermarketing”
- I wanted to become a doctor. I got provisional acceptance to study medicine at University of Stellenbosch. I couldn’t go because we didn’t have money.
- I watched doctors perform surgery while I was in high school. The hospitals were OK with letting me watch because I was planning to be a doctor. A stomach surgery nearly made me faint.
- I cycle and walk our dogs for exercise. Gym is a waste of time and money.
- Last year I took a swim in my underwear at midnight at the Monte Casino Palazzo hotel in Johannesburg. I was 44 years old and this was after a staff Christmas party. Two colleagues were present but didn’t join me. During the swim I lost my glasses in the pool. I got out, got dressed and realised my glasses were missing. My glasses were super expensive so I decided to try and find them in the massive pool, in the dark. I stripped down again and as soon as I jumped into the pool I felt my glasses beneath my right foot. This caused me to believe in prayer and miracles. We hit a few clubs after that and managed to get home safely despite the driver of the car being as wasted as I was. I thought I was lucky to survive my 20s but it looks like my 40s are going to be a danger too…
- Marvel is WAY better than DC.
- I have never been overseas on holiday. Only for work. This is changing next month as my wife and I are touring Cambodia with some friends for two weeks.
- My daughter is my favourite human. I love her 3000.
- I’ve been in a high roller suite in Atlantic City. For work. It wasn’t much fun.
- I walked around New York for a day, and London for a day. Both times carrying a heavy suitcase before heading to the airport. I need to plan business trips better.
- I don’t need to watch the movie Pulp Fiction again, because I have seen it so many times it must be stored in hard memory somewhere in my brain so I can literally access and stream from my cerebral cortex whenever I want to.
- Milla Jovovich. That is all.
- Maybe also Salma Hayek. From Dusk Til Dawn. Albino python scene.
- I play pool really well after 4 beers, and really badly after 5.
- I have had injuries requiring stitches on 4 parts of my body. This all happened when I was 7 years old.
- I have spent 23% of my life playing Half Life 2, and 15% playing Super Mario Bros.
- I got a Battlestar Galactica tattoo when I was 35. No regrets.
- I do not enjoy the music of Maroon 5 or Jamiroquai. These are my wife’s favourite bands. We are still married.
- I have listened to the Smashing Pumpkins more than any other band.
- I have listened to Suzanne Vega more than any other singer.
- I enjoy getting paid for SEO consulting services. Please don’t ask for freebies. It hurts.
- My surname means Son of Wolf but Aubrey Plaza is my spirit animal.
- Ron Swanson is my life coach
- My longest running friend (Charlene) and I started a sandwich business in Durban in 2002. It was called Fill the Gap. We got up at 4am and sold sandwiches at office parks. The business stopped when we all had to write exams
- I was born in 1974.
- The most physically demanding job I ever had was carrying and setting up trellis tables at the Durban beachfront flea market in 1995-1997. I was ripped.
- My younger brother lives in London and my younger sister in Cape Town. Since I live in Johannesburg I am the middle child, even though I am the oldest.